WE ARE SOLENT
Throughout our 160 year history, our aim has been to change our people’s and our students’ lives by placing them at the heart of everything we do.
We know our people are our strength, which is why we are committed to supporting and developing everyone so that they aspire to, and deliver, excellence, setting high expectations and standards in all areas and giving recognition for those achieving them.
We aim to attract and retain the most talented and passionate people who all aspire to be Solent.
We are confident
We’re a real world, diverse and vibrant university with a team of over 1,400 people working here, and more than 11,000 students.
We’re excited about our future with an ambitious and clear strategic plan to build an excellent university, centred on creating an outstanding experience for our students and becoming a workplace of choice for all our staff.
Our people are the key to achieving this and are committed to this journey with us. If taking ownership of your career with integrity is as important to you as it is for us, We Are Solent.
We are progressive
Every day we encourage and support our people to push the boundaries for continued innovation. We’re exploring innovative programmes, broadening the ways we develop our people, and challenging the status quo so that in an ever changing world we are capable and quick to respond.
Our people share the same energy, ambition and enterprising thinking and drive us forward. If you aspire to work where people are engaged to share ideas and where teamwork is truly valued, We Are Solent.
We are inclusive
We are all proud of Solent’s richly diverse culture and believe that by actively seeking out and valuing the diverse contributions, we create our vibrant and innovative community.If you share our passion for inclusivity and respect, We are Solent.
Southampton Solent University is a vibrant and innovative community and our six values underpin everything we do. These statements set out how we can all live and demonstrate the values in our day-to-day work and in our interactions with all our stakeholders.
- I treat others with respect and value everyone's contribution.
- I listen with an open mind to the views and ideas of others.
- I communicate effectively and with respect, ensuring I use appropriate language and tone.
- I handle confidential or sensitive information with discretion.
- I welcome diversity and recognise the value of others' strengths and different skills experience and knowledge.
- I encourage others to express their views and ideas.
- I work collaboratively with others, seeking feedback on proposed ideas and solutions.
- I communicate with others and seek feedback through a variety of different methods.
- I take responsibility for my actions and behaviours.
- I accept and learn from my mistakes.
- I have good attention to detail and ensure accuracy in my work.
- I adhere to University policy, procedures and regulations in delivering my work.
- I have professional, open and constructive conversations, focused on finding a way forward.
- I take responsibility for my work and its completion.
- I work with focus, pace and commitment to delivery my objectives and work.
- I take responsibility for my own learning and remain up-to-date and current with relevant legislation, regulations, policies and research as is relevant to my role.
- I welcome feedback on my performance to support my ongoing development.
- I understand the University's strategic priorities and how my work contributes.
- I keep up-to-date and informed on University news, progress and events.
- I strive for continuous improvement and look for improved ways of doing things.
- I anticipate potential challenges and actively seek solutions.
- I actively participate in new initiatives and contribute my ideas.
- I work effectively with colleagues across the University to support the delivery of the University's strategic priorities and Schools and Service operating plans.
- I share my knowledge and expertise with all those I work with.
- I work collaboratively to share ideas, identify solutions and continuous improvements and to accomplish a common goal.
- I communicate effectively with colleagues, contribute constructively at meetings and share and celebrate our success.
Our values need to be embraced and lived every single day - they are critical to us realising and achieving our ambition of becoming a distinctive and excellent university.